Letham Grange (Old) - Angus & Dundee - Scotland

DD11 4RL,

• Ian Christine

• Donald Steel

• None

Letham Grange is situated delightfully in the quiet Angus countryside. The Old course actually isn’t that old. The late Sir Henry Cotton opened it in 1987 and Donald Steel designed it. It's one of Steel's best designs.

The layout is very mixed. The holes combine intimate, tree-lined fairways with others, which are open and undulating. Dangerous water hazards provide a fun and challenging round of golf. But the very best holes are set amongst the trees – the sequence of holes between the 8th and the 10th is especially strong.

Golf Monthly once bracketed Letham Grange alongside Augusta. It’s a bold parallel. Letham is certainly an enjoyable, and interesting course. Measuring more than 6,600 yards, it represents a serious challenge too.

Letham Grange comes in for criticism. After all, this is mighty Carnoustie country. The course is not deemed to be sufficiently traditional or Scottish – it’s an American-styled affair – target golf country. Nevertheless, it provides a welcome break from links golf and many people actually prefer this style of golf.

Do not dismiss the Old course as a pushover. In 1994 and 2000, Letham Grange hosted the Scottish Open Amateur Stroke Play Championship, D. Downie and S. McKenzie emerging as the respective winners.

So, if you are fed up with slogging your way round the windy links courses, treat yourself to a scenic and tranquil piece of Letham Grange.

Reviews for Letham Grange (Old)

Description: If you're fed up slogging your way round the windy links courses, treat yourself to a scenic and tranquil piece of Letham Grange Golf Club. Rating: 4.9 out of 6 Reviews: 11

Letham Grange is a golf course that describes itself as the "Augusta of the North" and some of the holes are designed beautifully yet challenging the description is not too far from the truth.

Officially opened in 1987 by Sir Henry Cotton, it is a 6,632 yard par 73, Championship layout. (A parkland course incorporating both tree-lined and open fairways. It features memorable water hazards on the 8th & 10th holes. Every hole is unique, presenting a variety of challenges to every level of golfer. The blue tiger-tees layout adds another 336 yards to the length making it a fantastic championship course.

I played the Championship Course on Saturday 28 July 2018 and although not a fan of Parkland Courses I was totally taken by the design and challenges posed by this golf course. My son is a Scratch golfer and managed to birdie 2 holes and even eagle one of the Par 5s on the back 9 so if you can hit the ball straight it is possible to score well.

I do hope to return and play this golf course again and hopefully it will be in better circumstances as the club has had some financial issues in the past. These issues have resulted in difficulties in maintaining parts of the course (paths, signage etc) that hopefully will be easily resolved by the new owner. Having said that the course is very well laid out and will challenge all level of golfers and should not be missed if you are in the area.

August 02, 2018

At Letham today a jolly chap called Ian was manning the shop, collecting fees, directing visitors, answering calls AND running backward and forward to serve at the bar. He was quite possibly cleaning the loos when we were on the course. Ian is one of a small band of members valiantly trying to keep Letham Grange open for business. It takes something very special to inspire that level of dedication and energy and the Old Course fits the "very special" description perfectly. It's not absolutely pristine - there's probably too few greens staff, too little cash and too much lush growth for that- so I can't allocate six balls this time. However, for challenge, variety, beauty, drama and good old-fashioned value it really takes some beating. If your thinking at all about playing Letham don't allow yourself to be put off by the clubhouse/catering limitations - to miss out on this course for the want of a pie and beans would be golfing lunacy. Congratulations to all of the committee, members and staff for keeping the Letham dream alive. Derek, Edinburgh, May 2012.
June 04, 2012

I feel this course is probably about as good a parkland course as you'll find in Scotland in terms of layout and design, but it has for the last few years always been let down by poor facilities and lack of investment. It is also not in as good a condition as it deserves to be. That being said you really should have at least one round here, because you won't be disapointed by a fantastic course. It gets a birdie but probably deserves an albatross.
April 03, 2012

I can't do anything but agree with the other reviewers. Letham Grange is a definite 5- ball course. One of my real favourites. There are so many highlights. I really like the 1st - a perfect opening hole. The 2nd is a terrific challenge with water in front of the green and 3 is a fine par 5. More water at 4 and the devilish par 3 5th. And so it goes on. Like all visitors to Letham Grange I am bowled over every time by the sublime 8th across the pond. The 9th is a tremendous double dogleg par 5 and it is followed by the signature hole : downhill drive then an approach over water. There are a couple of weak holes coming in - the 11th lacks charm and 16 & 17 are humdrum. But the rest of the holes are both scenic and challenging. I just hope visitors to Scotland make a stop at Letham Grange on their way north to Royal Aberdeen, Cruden Bay and Dornoch. They will not be sorry.
January 15, 2012

Absolute beaut! Couldn't get on Carnoustie due to the women open. Single figure golfer, wide fairways for the first two holes to ease you in, then from three the course sets light. Fanastic. Cons: clubhose not open, colured discs require a yardage card (pro shop not open @ 5.30pm), greens lacking genuine pace. Verdict; Any golfer worth their salt must play, (£30) is far superior to Downfield (final Open qualifying). The only reason not excellent, clubhouse!
July 29, 2011

Played on a Sunday and let a county match through - they seemed to be doing just a tad better than our 4 ball. The member we were with who could play, but has seen his handicap rise since joining from Monifieth. I'm not surprised. However, the course is simply...stunning. Beautiful. If you cannot hit it off the tee, don't bother. For those who don't rate the magnificent Crail because it's too short and too easy...try this one! It's a belter of a course, but wet underfoot and nothing carries, and balls just off the fairway are often lost so be warned. So bring plenty balls, and if you are a high handicapper like me you'll do well to break the ton. Depsite the three figure score thoroughly enjoyed this and will play again. I may add it's a much better course than certain over rated so called "top" courses that cost 3 times the green fee!
June 15, 2011

I visited Letham Grange this summer and I must say straight away I will be going back! The welcome was fantastic! However there were certain aspects which would not be up to peoples liking… Due to some financial/owner problems the hotel has been left to go into trouble and therefore the changing rooms were simply awful for the standard of the clubhouse (a baronial manor). However the bar and restaurant were very impressive indeed! The course itself was very interesting too. The first 6 holes unless played of the “Tiger Tees” were a bit plain if I am honest however from the seventh onwards it was as if you had driven down Magnolia Avenue! The 8th a tough picturesque Par 3 was the hole for me! I had to go back and get an approach on the green before I left! However the back nine had everything! So for what the course offered a nice relaxing break from the links it did that and some! I truly enjoyed playing at Letham and I urge anyone considering a trip to give it a go because I think you may find that it is indeed worth it! However due to the lack of decent facilities I cannot give it full marks but once that is sorted and it is being this course will become a true hotspot for golf once again!
July 15, 2009

Hey Teacher, leave those stones alone!!! There is nothing wrong with the stones. All I am saying is that I nodded to them in a respectful manner on numerous occasions, and the result, 5 AND 4, I thank you. Actually, Jim is right, the stones are mince (get your daily dose of Glaswegian here folks) But trust me, the course certainly isn’t, it’s magnificent with a capital M. As a veteran of almost 150 courses, Letham Grange (Old ) goes straight in to my top 10 with a bullet. To the guy who recently gave the course 6 balls, Sir I salute you! I don’t quite agree but, it is not far away from top marks. Letham Grange has been on my hit list for a long time, but the man with the Links effect refused to take me. Unlike me, he was not seduced by it’s Augusta claims (I must admit to being a wee bit sceptical to the hyperbole) but if my TV is anything to go by, holes 8 through 10, Letham’s Amen Corner if you like, sure as hell look Augusta like to me. These holes are a gift from above and the fact that you play them in succession just rocks your socks off. The 8th is a 136yard piece of paradise. The 9th, a long 532 yard imperious creation, which sweeps past fairway dwellings (God I am so envious of the people living in those houses) down to tight green. The 10th, arguably, the best of them all, an awe inspiring hole which, at greenside, resembles Monet’s Japanese foot-bridge over the water-lily pond in Giverny, simply incredible. Letham Grange’s quality doesn’t just rest solely with these three holes as there are numerous other holes of star quality. The 14th is a stunning hole which ends eventually, with a narrow shelf green surrounded by trees. Holes 3, 4, 7 and 13 are also excellent; the other 10 holes are merely great. Standing on the 18th tee, you could be looking at a mini Stoke Park, (Well if Jim is allowed a Bond moment climbing the cliffs at Old Head then I can be allowed this Goldfinger moment ) but here, sadly, through no fault of it’s own, this is the only blot on the landscape. The wee bit of disrepair, which has been allowed to creep into house, stops the course getting a 6 ball mark from me but this is down to the receivership battle and perhaps I am nit picking. So take my advice, play this course now because refurbishment is bound to make the green fee rocket. One final thought. All of the people who we encountered are so proud of this place. Believe me; they have every right to be. MPPJ
July 07, 2008

What an interesting place Letham Grange is. The property is currently in receivership (with court cases continuing in Glasgow, Edinburgh and London) yet the club somehow manages to operate from a large, run down manor house in the middle of a mature, Letham Grange (Old) - Photo by Jim McCannup-market residential estate. Once the legal mess has been sorted out, it will be great to see if a substantial investment can then restore the old building to its former glory but meanwhile, thankfully, golf continues to be played on the Glens and the Old course. I’d heard the term “Scotland’s Augusta” mentioned before in relation to Letham and was rather sceptical of its validity before playing theOld course – not any more though as I became absolutely enchanted by the place during the course of my round. The first half a dozen holes are good but then the routing just gets better and better, with the visually stunning holes at 8 and 10 going straight into my top 18 in Scottish golf. The unexpected changes in elevation were a delight, the colour contrasts of the mature trees very pleasing and the sparing use of water hazards quite masterful – all I can say is hats off to Donald Steel for a really lovely layout! Only one complaint, though. If and when the litigation process is resolved, the daft collections of large stones dotted around the course should then be removed immediately as they add nothing to the golfing experience. These new wave creations were installed for a previous estate owner by Shunmyo Masuno, a landscape architect and Zen priest (I kid you not!) and are meant to bring favourable fortune - getting gubbed 5&4 by your opponent as I did is not my idea of good luck so I say return them tout de suit to the quarry they came from! Jim McCann
July 03, 2008

A hidden gem is often a misused cliche which it comes to golf courses ... but Letham Grange certainly Scotland's best kept secret.Fantastic golf courses - both the old and the new - although the old is more of a challenge.Fairways and greens to match any course on the European Tour.Superb course and equally superb hotel. Wouldn't have been treated any better if we'd been royalty.A must play if you are within 100 miles of Scotland!
June 04, 2008