In 1920, twenty-two years after its formation, Hinsdale Golf Club invited David Foulis to transform the penal design of its original course into one of the best strategic layouts in the Chicago area – a process that took twenty years. Since then, Larry Packard and his son Roger Packard, as well as Dick Nugent, Bob Lohmann, and Billy Fuller (former Superintendent at Augusta National and design associate with Bob Cupp), have all made changes to the layout.
Some records suggest Hinsdale Golf Club was originally laid out by Donald Ross. In The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses, Tom Doak writes: “This is a nice old club, but neither the greens nor the bunkering have even an inkling of the character typical of Donald Ross' work. The class of the course are the short holes, especially the 13th with its steeply sloping green, and the long 16th with the 'Andy Gump' bunker off its right shoulder.”