Ruth Lake Country Club was formed by nine local businessmen who leased 160 acres of land around Ruth Lake with the specific intention of creating a facility for hunting, sailing and golfing.
Two hundred and fifty memberships were made available at $50 per person, with green fees set at 25 cents on weekdays and 50 cents at the weekend. On 28th July 1923 the official opening of the 18-hole course took place.
In The American Private Golf Club Guide, Daniel Wexler writes: “[Ruth Lake] has been largely altered over the decades by a cadre of Midwestern architects, most recently Arthur Hills in 2005. The tree-lined property’s dominant feature is the eponymous lake, though it is not visited by a long front nine which occupies the centre of the property.”
The author continues: “The lake appears immediately on the back nine, however, as the 323-yard 10th curves rightward along its shoreline, daring an aggressive diagonal carry. More water (in the form of three modern-era ponds) invasively guards the greens at the 13th, 14th and 15th.”
The club appointed J. Drew Rogers, former partner of Arthur Hills, in 2018. JDR Design Group commented as follows:
"Golf at Ruth Lake originated in 1921 when an original nine holes was laid out by David Foulis. A year later, another nine was added and the course was opened for play. Most sources, however, credit the overall design of the course to notes golf course architects, William Langford and Theodore Moreau, whose distinctively bold designs are among the most memorable in the Midwest…
We were retained in 2018 by the Club to develop and execute a full renovation of the course's bunkering. The planning work was developed during the spring and summer months of 2019 with the construction completed in October of 2019. The project scope also included the redesign and construction of a new and improved green complex on Ruth Lake's par-3 finishing hole."