Sand Martins - Berkshire - England

• Chris Mackenzie

• Edward T. Fox

• Andrew Hall

Reviews for Sand Martins

Description: Sand Martins Golf Club is intriguing, with two distinctly contrasting nines. The front nine is park-like and the back nine feels like an inland links. Rating: 4 out of 6 Reviews: 3

Played Sand Martins recently and was very impressed. Wasn't sure what to expect as I'd read the review below and wasn't expecting much, but I found it to be an intersting course that held my attention all the way round. It's not the best in Berks by any means but it's better than some of the reviews below suggest.
May 16, 2011

Andrew
May 21, 2011
A typical modern course, as pointed out previously, there are many of a similar nature. For example, in the same general area, Billingbear, Chobham, Clandon Regis, Pryford, Sutton Green, Traditions and Wildwood. This is, at best a three-ball course, to score it this high places it on the same level as the courses at the Berkshire. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, if you regard Sand Martins as a five-ball course how do you score the very best inland courses, Sunningdale, Ganton, Woodhall Spa, Hollinwell, Walton Heath?
Niall
May 22, 2011
Your point Andrew I think requires a response. Sometimes a course exceeds expectations and based on the relatively poor reviews below I had low expectations of Sand Martins but they were exceeded. I had high expectations of Woodhall Spa but I was disappointed with it when I played it a few years ago. The condition of Woodhall wasn’t great and I felt the course too short off the regular tees plus the greens were slow and the sand in the bunkers (if you can call them that) was inconsistent. For a world ranked course this simply is not good enough. Woodhall’s design is excellent but its condition when I played it was average. I went to Sand Martins expecting an average course and found an interesting one that is varied, entertaining and in good condition. What more can I say? Walton Heath Old = 6-balls. Walton Heath New = 4-balls, Notts = 6, Sunningdale both = 6, Ganton = 6. Perhaps I should have marked Sand Martins 4 but as it exceeded my expectations I gave it the benefit of the doubt. Niall.
I have, so far, around 150 different courses on my golfing CV and Sand Martins barely makes my personal top 100. I played it on a gorgeous sunny day and it was in reasonably good condition. However, it really is nothing out of the ordinary, a few nice par 3's but nothing truly memorable - I would hazard a guess that most golfers could find dozens of examples of similar standard courses without racking their brains too hard. If you're in the area and can utilise one of the discount schemes then drop in, but don't go too far out of your way.
April 28, 2006

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not
One of the companies I used to deal with many moons ago had corporate membership here at Sand Martins and I used to skive off and pretend to have a meeting on the course... those were the days! Anyway, this is a really nice course which does indeed have two distinctly different nines and personally I prefer the back nine, probably because it suits my game better and I have a habit of scoring well coming home here. All in all a nice club and very friendly too. Well worth playing.
April 25, 2006