St Andrews (Old) - Fife - Scotland

KY16 9SF,

• St Andrews Links - follow signs to West Sands

• Book well in advance - by ballot

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at St Andrews

The Old course at "The Home of Golf" in St Andrews has staged 29 Open Championships, that's more than any other course on the rotation.

Date Winner Country
2000 Tiger Woods USA
2005 Tiger Woods USA
2010 Louis Oosthuizen S Africa
2015 Zach Johnson USA

Rarely is the Old course ranked outside the top ten because it’s a very special links, designed by Mother Nature. Surely there is little left to write about St Andrews; the spiritual home of golf, the world’s most famous links course, the mother of golf and so on. It is probable that golf was played here way back in the 12th century; what is certain is that the Old course is one of the oldest golf courses in the world.

In 1553, the Archbishop of St Andrews administered confirmation, at last allowing the community to play golf over the links. The Society of St Andrews Golfers was formed in 1754 and ten years later the course was reduced from its original 22 holes to 18. In 1834, William IV bestowed royal patronage on the club and The Society then changed their name to the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, the world’s oldest surviving “Royal” golf club. Sadly, the first royal club, Royal Perth, is no longer in existence, though in 1937, Royal Perth was born again, this time in Australia. Significantly, Ladies’ golf began at St Andrews; the world’s first ladies golf club was founded here in 1867. Royal North Devon’s ladies club was formed one year later.

"There are those who do not like the golf at St Andrews," wrote Bernard Darwin in his 1910 book, The Golf Courses of the British Isles, "and they will no doubt deny any charm to the links themselves, but there must surely be none who will deny a charm to the place as a whole. It may be immoral, but it is delightful to see a whole town given up to golf; to see the butcher and the baker and the candlestick maker shouldering his clubs as soon as his day's work is done and making a dash for the links."

The St Andrews Old course itself usually isn’t an instant hit, it’s a golf course you have to get to know and love. First timers might be somewhat disappointed. It's also unlikely that the Old course will feel familiar when you play it for the first time (except perhaps the 1st, 17th and 18th). Television pictures tend to make the ground look very flat, but the humps, hollows and ripples in the fairways are much deeper when you get out onto the course, as indeed are the pot bunkers. Dr Alister MacKenzie wrote in his book, The Spirit of St Andrews: “A good golf course is like good music or anything else: it is not necessarily a course which appeals the first time one plays over it; but one which grows on a player the more frequently he visits it.”

In Tom Doak’s Little Red Book of Golf Course Architecture, the author goes a long way towards explaining why the Old course isn’t an instant hit:

“The Old Course would never receive the acclaim it has today if we hadn’t been told for eons how great it is. It is the great golf course that the most players tend to dismiss as overrated after their first round – of course, that has something to do with its fame too. But it seems to me that the two reasons for it are simple: 1) most tourists don’t get to see the most interesting hole locations, which are reserved for important events, and 2) golfers can’t make out the strategies of the holes because the features are so difficult to see.”

However, it goes without saying that every golfer should play this course at least once, preferably multiple times. It sends shivers down the spine when the starter announces your name, setting those first tee nerves jangling. Oozing familiarity with names like the Swilcan Burn, the bridge over the burn—thought to have been built by the Romans—and the Valley of Sin. There are many memorable holes on the Old course, but one in particular, the 17th, the Road hole, is probably the most famous hole in the world.

And a word about the greens: they are the most extraordinary and interesting putting surfaces in the world. There is little definition between where the fairway, fringe and green stops or starts and the fairways are probably faster and certainly more undulating than the average golf club’s greens. And the size of them is absolutely staggering—they are gigantic—occupying more than an acre in some cases. When you are on the green, forget about having the pin tended—take a pair of binoculars instead.

Mother Nature was largely the architect of the Old course, but some credit must be given to Allan Robertson. In 1848, he widened fairways, created the now-famous gigantic double greens and built the infamous Road Hole green. Robertson's protégé, Old Tom Morris, also made further revisions to the Old course down the years.

"If I could be certain that everyone were intimately acquainted with the Old Course at St Andrews," wrote Tom Simpson, "my task, in saying what constitutes a good golf course would be a very simple one. I should just say St Andrews and leave it at that."

So, get yourself in the ballot and keep your fingers crossed. You will definitely remember the Old course experience for the rest of your life. And did you know that St Andrews Links has become the first Open Championship venue to achieve the prestigious GEO Certified ecolabel?

Reviews for St Andrews (Old)

Description: No other course has hosted more Opens than the Old Course at St Andrews. Its 29th Open and the 144th Open Championship returned “to the Home of Golf” in 2015. Rating: 8.9 out of 10 Reviews: 118
Josh Poysden

What to say about this place that hasn’t already been said! On reflection, I’ve used the word ‘special’ a lot in previous reviews, but there is no doubting in my mind that 99% of other courses pale into insignificance compared to this place. Filled with lots of intricacies, strategy, and personally most importantly for this reviewer lots of fun. Featuring some iconic holes, such as the 1st and 18th, played over the Swilcan Burn, and away from/back to the heart of St Andrews town. Another iconic hole is the Road Hole 17th, played over The Old Course Hotel (that used to be railway sheds), then asking players to deal with the deep road hole bunker and actual road. Have a look at the video of a playing partner smashing one into the hotel then playing his second 50 yards back from the tee behind the 16th green! However, there are SO many more brilliant holes. Personally, I love the 11th, 12th and 16th, to name but a few. The par 3 11th has been described as ‘the shortest par 5 in golf’, a statement I would tend to agree with, having experienced a complete meltdown on before when trying to avoid the short-left Bobby Jones bunker. I over clubbed, flew the green and ended up playing what can only be described as a game of ping pong for my next 3-4 shots. The 12th has hidden centreline bunkers which demand players not only to think but also to be accurate, accompanied with possibly the most interesting green complex that the course has to offer. The 16th has out of bounds right, but the further left you play off the tee, the harder the second shot comes. Quite simply, with its wide fairways, and 8 massive double greens, there is nowhere else like it! I appreciate this is a long review but I feel like I could go on for hours! Completely forgetting the amazing and well documented history of golf in The Auld Grey Toon to one side, there is no other golf course I would be giving my first perfect score too. If you haven’t been there yet, do what you can to get there ASAP (hopefully once all this current craziness dies down!).

March 24, 2020

James

Now, I love to ski. But rarely do I enter a town on a golf trip, steeped by the golf on offer. A ski town is usually defined by the towering mountains above, and the sliding to be had. When you arrive of an evening, you drink it all in. Sensing the adrenaline starting to course, at the prospect of boarding that stationary and alluring St Andrews (Old) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer lift system the next morning, and reaching impossibly up into the distant and majestic massifs. To plant some turns.

Soon, you will set off for that expectant and anticipant sleep. If you can. But the adrenaline is flowing now, and the pulsing town nestling in the valley, has its soul intrinsically throbbing with the sport, and pulls you into the intoxicating revelry, spurred on by your wide eyed friends.

So it is, that St Andrews is similarly alive with Golf. Its beating granite heart, is fed by the links just steps away from the main street; and ably supported by some terrific supporting courses you can’t see. You might happen upon the links by accident. By an unassuming alley, ambling between humble Victorian terraces. As you tumble down to the sea. The shimmering metaled road, giving over to that iconic timeless lawn, bordered by white picket fences. They can't contain the aura that draws us all from the world over. This is our town.

Playing the Old Course is a St Andrews (Old) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer visceral and unforgettable journey that you won’t recall for the holes of golf. Because it’s a swirling enigma. A chameleon that you won’t recognise from one outing to the next. It’s a shape shifter that is beguilingly familiar, yet starkly idiosyncratic and strange. It’s a joy that will disorientate and leave you swirling. It can combine the plain with the absurd. It can flatter you and it can annihilate. Every course you have ever played has this DNA running through it.

We played in the dying days of this awful medieval winter of child saints, plagues and tempests. The scaffolds were up on the Royal and Ancient, and out on the links itself, in various ways. The few fairways we hit, we played from matts. I counted 6 shots played from my rug, out of 70 blows. The long shots were infinitely less impacted than the diggy short shots. But for half the price you are still here. On the old Course. In St Andrews. Bliss.

JCB LAY

March 11, 2020

Jamie Hudson

To play the Mecca of golf is a pilgrimage all golfers should make at least once. My friend and I was fortunate enough to get in through the ballot on a windy Saturday morning in October. Unlike most other top courses I’ve played the excitement starts to bubble the moment you click “enter” into the ballot, it feels like an eternity of a wait until the draw is published later that day. Frantically scrolling through the list of names we’d bagged a mid morning slot along with a college student at St Andrews and his grandfather. The drive into the town is probably as exciting as it gets without striking a ball, sites we’d seen for years on television, in magazines and only to be played on Tiger Woods Golf....it was finally our time to experience “The Home of Golf”. We paid a green fee of £125 that included a small goody bag that hosted tees, pencils and a pitch mark repairer. It’s was everyone’s first time on the Old Course so we made the bold decision to play it off the back pegs in howling wind. When you look at the course infront of you, you question how tricky can a flat mostly generous track really be..... well we found out pretty quickly. The outward 9 played predominantly into a howling 35mph wind and you were lucky if well struck drives passed the 180 yard mark. The 1st, 17th and 18th are tee shots you’ll never forget ..... unfortunately the holes in between don’t quite live up to the quality that’s reached of the fore mentioned holes. The standard of the fairways and greens are still of the highest quality but the holes lack a cutting edge that you get with a Dornoch. My overriding feeling is this is a 4 star golf course but a 6 star experience and one I’d advise you all to try.

January 28, 2020

Marcus

I was lucky enough to get a tee time on Christmas eve. Having just played the New Course expectations were high. Although both me and my golfing partner had strong first tee nerves we immediately relaxed by the large fairway on the 1st hole that awaited us.

I would like to add the whole set up is incredibly relaxed and the staff are incredibly friendly and generally you will tee off as the group in front finishes on the first green. Although we expected a course guide we were happy to receive a small gift back with tees and a pitch marker which added to the experience.

The second hole is really where the magic of the old course starts. Both being relatively big hitters we could see the challenge of driving it between the bunkers. Studying of the course guide seemed almost necessary for first timers. A pitch onto the green of the 2nd left us both in bewilderment of the undulations of the green. This course is really built to match the terrain of the course.

My golfing partner being a competitive and talented requested playing off the championship tees. What we did notice very quickly was that the Old course really is not the most challenging course we have played. Personally I believe the Jubilee course to be the most testing of the three. The Old course is rather forgiving, unless you find yourself in the face of a 6ft bunker 150 yards from the green.

The 7th hole in my opinion is one of the finest holes of the course. We studied the course guide and angled our shots. Astonished at the size of the green at 53 yards across. Immediately we realised that the players on the 11th were hitting over from us and players on the 12th were teeing off. Furthermore, the three ball in front were finishing on the green on the green as we walked around the corner. It was here that we realised the Old Course is inherently special. We both felt an immense sense of connectivity and enjoyment between all players on the course and ourselves. The next best experience for us was teeing off on the 11th and experiencing the same feeling yet again but from another perspective above other players on the 7th.

The hardest hole for both of us proved to be the 14th. Both of us even with the map really struggled to work out where to hit it. The red hat of a player in front gave us some idea of where to hit it. Hell bunker is a feature of this hole although easily avoidable it does make for an incredible photo opportunity. A stand out hole in our mind.

The 17th provided the all-risk and little reward we craved and dreamed of since watching the open. Driving a ball over the old course hotel and cutting the corner. Or in my case, getting a helping hand from of the roof of the hotel to return me to the fairway. Neither of us ended up in the pot hole road bunker but we would of happily to try and emulate what we had seen on the TV as children.

The 18th was everything we had hoped for and more. Both grinning as we crossed the bridge. The members behind us were very courteous and didn’t mind us taking photographs and even lending our clubs to a tourist for a quick photo.

I won’t focus on any negative points of the course for the review. I believe these have been talked about in detail in past reviews. I will admit a few holes such as 8 and 9 are on the weak side. Is the Old Course one of the top 10 courses in the world? I think so. Is it the best golf experience in the world? Yes, yes, it is. We are hoping to make this a Christmas tradition.

I would also like to add that the course is in perfect condition despite it being December and the greens are second to none.

December 26, 2019

Mark White

I have played the Old Course at St Andrews Links many times. I'm not sure I will go back given on my last round I shot my lowest score even (76 with 3 finishing bogeys) and I don't want to tempt fate.

Whenever I enter a discussion of the best golf courses in the world, the Old course always comes up. In terms of the experience itself, only Augusta National can come close, but most people do not get to experience Augusta National. There are other courses such as Cypress Point, Royal County Down, Royal Portrush, Royal Melbourne, National Golf Links, Merion East, Tara Itt, Pacific Dunes, Cape Wickham, that also enter the discussion in terms of experience, but when it comes down to it, nothing can rival the history, the setting and uniqueness of the Old Course.

I played earlier this year at Notts and Ganton and we had a lively discussion with the host member regarding the Old Course. Architecturally we agreed it is not that brilliant and the layout is both a bit dull (out and back) and a bit quirky (the loop in the middle). Yes, you can hit it left most of the time off the tee and be safe. The landscape is not pretty at all; there really is not much beauty on the golf course. On some of the fairways I have used my putter from almost 100 yards away and gotten close to the hole as those are both flatter fairways and flatter greens.

But then you mention beginning the round in front of the famous R&A building, the tremendous double greens, how most of them are raised, how they undulate, how they are protected, etc. Then you discuss the infamous 11th hole, the uphill extremely difficult par 3. Next you discuss the Hell, Beardies, and Coffins bunkers. You discuss the Principal's Nose and the Shell bunker. Following that, the discussion goes to the out of bounds on the the fourteenth with the low stone wall on the right.

Then of course the discussion comes the drive over the corner of the Old Course hotel to that amazing bunker fronting the 17th green and the rock wall behind it.

Finally there is the drive to the largest fairway ever as long as you don't hit right into the street or a building, finishing in the town with as few as a dozen people watching and as many as a couple hundred waiting to see if you can navigate the Valley of Sin.

There truly is nothing like it.

Yes, there are a few weak holes such 4, 7, 8, 9, and 10 but one can also run up a big score on these holes on a windy day.

There are also exceptional holes such as 2, 11, 14, 15, and 17.

One final note: yes, the rounds can take forever. I have played rounds in less than four hours and as long as 5:15 (we were a three ball as well on a beautiful day in September - go figure). But relax, accept the pace and enjoy each hole. The Old course must be experienced at least once.

I do not believe it is the best golf course in the world like George Peper does. Of the 705 courses I have currently played, I have it 32 per my own ranking scale. I do see why some would rate it the best or certainly in the top ten. But I do believe it is the best golf experience in the world.

October 11, 2019

David Davis

After several plays on the Old Course over the last 15 or so years I have to say honestly that I just didn't get it the first go around back in something like 2006. Compared to the other courses I played on the trip: Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, St. Andrews Bay (Devlin and Sturdavent), Gullane 1, Muirfield and North Berwick it's fair to say it really didn't come out on top. In retrospect, not a half bad trip for my first ever golf trip. However, for some reason I really longed to return and see what I missed. The first episode was one of waking up at 4 am on a freezing cold morning and waiting in line for what seemed like hours. Getting an approximate tee time and running back to the B&B to quickly shower and eat before heading back to wait for my slot. By the time my name was called on the first tee everything was a blur of stiffness and nerves playing with 3 R&A members that couldn't of been nicer and more welcoming. I guess from that day I can remember 3 holes and vaguely at that.

Fast forward to each subsequent visit and I still get the nerves and excitement of teeing off there but with each play my love and appreciation for the course grows. It seems like I've yet to play the same course, each time in totally different conditions. As much as I enjoy the outward 9, it's really the inward 9 and playing your way back into town that never ceases to amaze me and challenge my scorecard.

If we measure golf in terms of experience a game at the Old Course is a world top 5 in my book. It's a place where the buzz of being there keeps me awake at night and early morning strolls around the hallowed grounds reverse the sleepless effect. Few places exude the magic of golf and all it's past much like St. Andrews and if there was one experience of all the courses I've played I could wish for everyone then it would be a game here.

September 29, 2019

Markus Digruber

Stayed 2 days in St Andrews - what a great place. The Links is the center of golf. Played Jubilee Course and Old Course - awesome experience. The old course is the most magic moment for every golfer - really difficult. Thought how difficult can a flat course be, but this is really a challenge. Very few landmarks for orientation and lot of punishment if not playing precise. Most holes are pretty challenging except 1 and 18 - but how will you make your first shot when teeing up in front of the St Andrews Club house and a few dozens tourists watching you . this is is a phantastic masterpiece. Great layout and really challenging.

All people are very friendly, golf at its best.

Lunch in Swilcan lounge recommended!!

On Sunday you can walk the old course and enjoy the scenery - there is no old course golf on sunday

September 28, 2019

Andy Cocker

Last year when I played at North Berwick we were successful in the ballot you can enter 2 days before, but the tee time they offered was 4pm the following evening and that meant extending our trip another night and work was pressing. So we declined and wasn't't sure when our chance would come along again to be honest. We therefore entered the ballot when it opened up in the Autumn and were lucky to get a 'package' with Old Course and Castle Course.

We played the Old Course on Mon 3rd June this year and in all honesty I did not know what to expect. I'd been to the town many years before when I wasn't a golfer and of course had watched the Open there in 2015 on TV but until you arrive in town and make your way down to the first tee and starter it's impossible to really 'get it'. The sense that all the greats have trod this hallowed turf, the imposing clubhouse behind you and the sheer number of people milling around really does get the adrenalin going. Everything about St Andrews the town oozes golf out of every pore. There is simply nothing like and nowhere I had played before prepares you for it.

Taking the home of golf to one side, is it the best golf course you will ever play, probably not, but that's the point. You can't measure the golf course in isolation, it's everything about it - history, setting, the town, what has been etc etc

The 1st tee box in a way is rather underwhelming, 2 tee markers in the middle of a rather large grassy area, but in a way that's good as it settles your nerves (and I can't remember the last time I was nervous on a tee shot - there again I'd never teed off in the centre of a town before either!) the wind was blowing c40 mph but the sun was shining and nothing was going to spoil my round or drive. I aimed way left of centre but the wind still got hold of the ball and dragged it over 100 yards back to the right and it rolled out of bounds. Not to worry - hit another and away.

And what a place this is. Double greens abundant, criss crossing holes, such a narrow tract of land but oh what fun. Despite the wind, with the sun getting lower through the evening, this was such goof fun golf. I found 6 bunkers but got out of each 1st time every time so that was good, and just tried to keep most shots down so the wind had less impact. A solid score of 34 points and I was a happy man.

The 17th tee was great. The hotel nearby had people on the roof and whilst i didn't go over the corner, choosing to play safe out to the left, two of my friends did to great applause which really added to the occasion

And the on the 18th, whilst one of my friends sent there tee shot right, off the side of a hotel wall and bouncing back into play, whilst nearly hitting a tourist, I managed a straight shot down, a 2nd onto the greens and a 2 putt par was a wonderful end to the round.

Even at 8.30pm there were still people milling around and clapping when you holed your putt.

We ate in the clubhouse afterwards and then a few beers in town, chatting to a few American golfers who were there and this really adds to the occasion. people from all over the World in one place at the same time with one focus in mind - golf and the Home Of Golf.

Not the best course, but certainly the most memorable experience and one which I will do again, and would recommend everyone who loves our game to make that one effort to go and play.

July 13, 2019

Grant Hutton

There’s not anything to say about the Old Course that hasn’t been said. On previous trips to the town I had spent hours watching the comings and going on the 1st tee and 18th green, I had walked the entire course 6 days after Zach Johnson had won the Open in 2015, yet when I learned of our successful ballot I wasn’t as excited as I should have been.

‘Never meet your heroes’ goes the old saying and perhaps I was fearful of being underwhelmed. The forecast was also 42mph winds and that also led to my apprehension.

After the excitement of the 1st tee, where I was delighted to smack a 3 wood down the middle - we got the 2nd green and I was 100% certain this place was a golfing masterclass. The collection of contours, humps, hollows and bunkers is simply unlike anything I’ve ever seen.

The greens ran true with just enough grass on them to ensure playability in the high winds. The rough was whispy, enough to cause problems but not hungry enough to collect balls from handicap golfers and weary tourists. The fairways were firm and the bunkering majestic.

A few noteables that make this special. 10 minute intervals between groups. It wasn’t until the 10th hole we even saw the group in front of us and never saw the group behind all day. For the front 9 we felt that we had the course to ourself. A remarkable feat on a course that is basically fully booked from April to October.

A caddy. Unless you are an expert at reading a yardage book, you need to have a caddy with your group. There are so many hidden perils - bunkering on 5, 12 & 15 especially tough to identify unless you are a regular player there.

A very nice little zipped bag with a spare card, yardage book, pencil, pitch repair and ball marker.

And simply just the playability. Ok, so there could be a lot more rough and they seem to always be cutting gorse back but to have such big targets off the tee is a godsend for the higher handicapper, while still giving the elite players a risk / reward line to get into position for birdie.

If you were going to be critical of anything, you could find spots away from the fairways that weren’t in great condition. Some of the holes around the turn are a bit manic as you cross over the, 11th and 7th in particular.

But my only real criticism is that I can’t play here every week. Undoubtedly a must play for all true golfers.

June 04, 2019

LeeHopkins

We'd played the Old Course a few years earlier, but had to play off fairway mats, so we were keen to experience the course again and play it properly.

A 7:40am tee time meant an early start on the range in order to prepare ourselves for the opening tee shot. Thankfully the weather was kind and the sun was shining, albeit with a slight breeze.

We got to the 1st tee early and enjoyed a bacon sandwich whilst watching the earlier groups tee off, and seeing all kinds of opening tee shots!

Once on the tee the starter was happy to take photo's and have a chat, and trying to keep everyone calm. We'd opted not to take caddies but were very much in the minority as most people on the course had.

As with the last time we played, tremendous nerves again accompanied our tee shots, but thankfully we were all successfully away down the fairway.

The course itself is in great condition, as you'd expect. One thing I'd forgotten is the close proximity to the New Course over holes 2 to 9. In fact, any shot way right is in danger of landing on the New Course itself. However, the line on the Old Course is to aim left on pretty much every hole but study the course guide carefully as there are hidden pot bunkers everywhere, and you're more likely to come out backwards or sideways than advance it forwards if you find one.

The greens were true, and if the wind isn't blowing too hard you can score well. I find the 8th, 9th & 10th to be the only weak holes and having now played it twice I still have no idea how to play the Par 5 14th!!

16, 17 & 18 are great closing holes and I was glad to miss the road hole bunker this time around.

Driving on 18, and taking photo's on the swilcan bridge, you can appreciate all of the history of the place and the greats that have gone before you. A particular highlight is putting out on 18 in front of a small crowd, applauding when you drain the putt.

It's not the best course you'll ever play, but it might be the most memorable.

May 30, 2019