St George's Hill (Red & Blue) - Surrey - England

KT13 0NL,

• +44 (0)1932 847758

• 2 miles S of Weybridge

• Contact in advance – handicap cert required

St George’s Hill Golf Club is one of the prettiest of the numerous heathland courses on the Surrey/Berkshire sand belt... it's also one of the best. In 1911, a local builder came up with an original idea to build luxury fairway-side houses and, by chance, Harry Colt was the chosen architect. The course opened for play in 1913 and it is considered (alongside Swinley Forest) to be one of Colt’s greatest designs.

The most notable difference between St George’s Hill and the heathland layouts in this area is the terrain. The land here sweeps and undulates like a rollercoaster and Harry Colt used these dramatic elevation changes superbly in his design.

At this stage, it is worth pointing out that there are three loops of nine holes, called Red, Blue and Green. At one time, St George’s Hill was a 36-hole complex but sadly, no longer. The main course is comprised of the Red nine and the Blue nine, the Green nine is somewhat shorter.

The spectacular panorama from the front of the clubhouse, or the pavilion as it was originally called, totally whets your appetite. It is one of those views that grabs you and makes your heart pound in excited anticipation. You cannot help but want to get out onto the first tee as quickly as possible.

Opening up is a super 384-yard par four played from an elevated tee. A good drive will leave your tee shot at the bottom of a valley, your approach will then need to be struck steeply up the hill to an inviting green that waits patiently at the top. The 2nd hole is even better, a brutal 458-yard par 4, a blind drive over the brow of a hill will leave a tough approach shot from a hanging lie which must carry a stream on its way to a distant raised green. And so it goes on, with many more memorable holes, especially the par threes. In fact there isn’t a single weak hole here at St George’s Hill.

Tim Lobb was engaged by the club to produce a design policy report in 2015, after the architect had rebuilt the practice ground and created a new green for the short par four 6th on the Green nine. The report indicated the club had strayed from its Colt heritage, resulting in Lobb replacing the green on the 1st hole, restoring an original Colt bunker on the left side of the fairway and adding a new bunker on that side closer to the new green. Further bunker work (mainly to enlarge hazards and introduce peripheral heather) has since been carried out on another twelve holes.

Reviews for St George's Hill (Red & Blue)

Description: The spectacular golfing panorama from the front of the St George's Hill clubhouse is a view that grabs you and makes your heart pound... Rating: 8.9 out of 10 Reviews: 70
Andy Cocker

From the moment you enter St George's Hill Estate on Old Avenue and then turn into Golf Club Road you know you're about to experience something special. As you enter the carpark and look at the 'castle' clubhouse in front of you, your expectations step up a notch and then wow! The view across the course from in front of the clubhouse is immense, the 1st, 10th, 9th and 18th holes stretch out in front of you, from your elevated position, giving you an early indication of the rise and fall of the topography you will be playing in the minutes to come.

I can't give higher praise to Colt's design than to say that the course looked like it had been draped over the landscape. Everything feels natural and the course flows superbly from hole to hole, green to tee.

Given the huge amount of review already posted, it isn't necessary to do a run through, but there wasn't one weak hole. Yes, the 4th (on the Red) is short at 272 yards, but it presents different options, which is what even a short hole should present. Played from a high tee, across the valley and back upto a raised green, with sloping green and surrounded by bunkers, the decision is whether to go for it or play an iron down to the valley and chip on. My playing partners all went for it - the bunkers enjoyed swallowing up their balls. I went with a lay up and chip on - we all exited with par!

The club is not stuffy despite the sheer wealth that surrounds it. The staff were friendly and helpful, the starter giving some good tips and making you feel welcome. Whilst the course is Red/Blue, we played the Blue 1st (10th hole) and then the Red. Each 9, has 2 par 3's and 1 par 5 with a good mix of par 4's, with some really tough ones - the 6th on the Red, playing only 8 yards shorter than the par 5 on the same loop.

Par 3's are exceptional - my favourite being the 8th on the Red - with a strong wind blowing against, a valley requiring at least 160 yards carry, heavy bunkering on the front banking and trouble left and right, this was a difficult hole to choose the correct club, commit and try and hit the green!

I couldn't pick out a favourite loop - both are excellent. Loved the start on the Blue and the delightful short par 3 to follow, but equally the 1st on the Red, looking down and across the valley to the uphill green, and the view from the 9th as you head back to the clubhouse is breath taking. But this can also be said for so many holes as you wend around and up and down this wonderful heathland landscape, with heather (tightly bound together and treacherous if you hit your ball into it), birch, oak and pine trees framing each hole.

The greens are large but undulating with tiers and slopes and the course is not tight, but get off line and the heather will have your ball and loss of a shot no doubt.

This was a treat that one rarely gets to experience and to play another of the World's Top 100 is always a bonus. This course is fun, beautiful, fair but challenging and if you get the chance to play, don't hesitate, you will not be disappointed.

June 30, 2022

Nicholas Kjelgaard
July 01, 2022

Sounds like you had a great day Andy. Did you play the Green too? It was a while ago but I remember really enjoying the 7th on the Green.

July 04, 2022

Nicholas, it was amazing, different gravy as they say. Unfortunately I didn't get to play the Green, one for next time if I'm lucky enough to go back. I could see one of the Green holes to the left of the 10th (Blue). How does the Green compare to the Red/Blue?

Nicholas Kjelgaard
July 05, 2022

We played at the end of March one year in 18 degrees and sunshine. 3 nines for £90 if I remember correctly. All of us thought it was just a great day of golf. As for the green it is definitely the lesser of the 3 nines, but in the same way that the New at Walton Heath or the Blue at The Berkshire are the lesser. Some people will disagree and it is still really good. I would recommend looking out for their early autumn or late spring deals.

July 05, 2022

Thanks Nicholas, that's a very useful insight. I'll look out for those specials.

Faiz Alam

Once you walk up from the car park to the beautiful clubhouse and look out over the course, it is clear that you are somewhere genuinely special. There are numerous stunning vistas looking down on the first and ninth holes of the red and blue 9s.

The first hole could well be the best opening hole I've ever played. The view as you look down to the fairway shaped by bunkers and then back up to the green perched high above is just stunning. The most memorable hole for me.

The course itself is not overly tight, despite trying my best I did find it difficult to lose a ball. However, going off line does make it difficult to score, playing out of Heather is not easy!

I particularly enjoyed all of the par 3s, they were all beautiful from the tee and required accurate placing to avoid trouble. My favourite was the 11th, the shortest hole on the course but a good demonstration of how a short hole can be difficult.

We endured frequent showers from the 14th onward including some hail which gave my playing partner a truly British experience! The sun did come out again and I thoroughly enjoyed the round.

We actually booked in to play 27 holes so then went on to play the Green course. I must say I was very pleased that we paid to play this extra 9. It seems to be a bit neglected by players but there are some stunning holes. The first is a good opener with a blind tee shot depending on your choice of club. The second was one of my favourite par 3s at the club, a long 210 yard shot over the valley to a raised green with Heather and trees to the right and a big slope and bunker to the left. I really enjoyed the short 6th, the white tee was positioned with the yellows 255 yards from the green. My partner and I both took on the challenge, me ending up in the bunker before the green and him landing on the slope before the green only to watch the ball roll back down the fairway. We both managed to birdie which obviously was great!

The 7th is a fantastic hole, you can see the fairway at the same level as the tee but you cannot see that it dips down on the right before getting to an elevated green. A hole that I could play many different ways and not tire of playing. The 8th and 9th are then another beautiful par 3 and a short tight par 4 that leave you with a smile to finish the day.

I would recommend adding the green to the revered red and blue if you are making the trip. I carried for the 27 but I would recommend using a trolley if that is your intention.

All in all it was a very memorable experience for me. All of it, the course, the clubhouse, the staff, the houses and the service. It definitely wasn't cheap, I believe rates have gone up but it was one for the bucket list and one that left me with many beautiful memories.

April 08, 2022

Jordan Preece

Lucky enough to play all 3 loops on StGH last week and enjoyed every single thing it had to offer us.

An imperious club house steeped in history is always a great first impression, and this was then replicated on the course.

A fantastic blend of holes over perfectly manicured fairways and greens.

Quite simply a treat for any golfer of any ability and a must play

July 13, 2021

James

A good golf shot is a good golf shot, wherever you are playing. And so is a bad one. However, The reward or punishment for either, on some courses, can sometimes be incommensurate given the level of risk a player might have taken on.

Not at St Georges hill. The golfer is offered a spectacular variety of challenges, over effortlessly rolling heathland, rewarding the accurate and the brave, whilst penalising the wayward or the mis struck blow, in just the right amount.

I can see how James Morrison went around here in 59, although I will never emulate it. I can also see how one might shoot 120. Every hole has that perfectly elegant balance. Colt always wants you to enjoy it. Take it on if you can, He stirs your blood to rise. He’ll celebrate your best and commiserate with your worst. Never Stepping on your throat or gifting you an unearned spree.

You can take so many different strategies to each hole depending on your appetite and ability. It is still in my top 5. Only more so.

The conditioning, after what seems like a perpetual winter, has literally blossomed into lush and gloriously English Spring conditions. The generously lush and broad fairways laid out before us between the heather pews and the cathedral pines beguile the eye and pep the step.

I am sure they will brown as summer comes, making for the fast and firm running play I am used to here, where the angles from tee shots and approaches will take president if you are to score well and avoid the ever denser heather as the days shorten, as they soon must.

But for now, let’s revel with a post round beer, on this canonised terrace, and enjoy this bastion of Englishness, from the sanctity and serenity of our peaceful citadel and soak up the embers of the dipping sun and the views of the verdant slopes leading home. Let’s bask in the opulent scale of it all.

This isn’t Millionaires Golf. We are talking billions. Being able to appreciate St Georges Hill, on days like this. Priceless.

JCB Lay

June 02, 2021

Mike Brooks

Before you hit a ball at SGH it is clear you are in a special place. The drive through the estate to the clubhouse, past the opulent houses, is like no other. The clubhouse is stunning and the views over the golf course enticing.

The course lives up to this initiation. It is a classic Surrey heathland course and one of the best I have experienced. It is a very playable course and whilst trees and heather line most holes it is not particularly tight. The par 3s are particularly strong varying in length from the 119 yard 11th to the 211 yard 14th. The former offers the potential for both birdie and disaster as a miss to the right brings in serious trouble.

The greens were running at a nice pace for April and there were some treacherous slopes, most notably the 9th from back to front making it a very tricky hole. More generally the course was in great condition.

Whilst not directly relevant to the course, I loved the relaxed and convivial atmosphere around the clubhouse. On a sunny day the terrace strikes me as a great place to while away time after a round with friends having a few drinks whilst watching people tee-off (and then getting an Uber home!) If I lived in the area it would likely be top of my list of places where I would like to be a member. Given the nearby competition that is high praise indeed.

May 05, 2021

Phil Ree

Much has already been said about the scale and grandeur of SGH, and I agree with all of it. It instantly goes into my 5 favourite courses. It’s diverse, dramatic, pure (obviously), and a hilly test with some severe greens, but doesn’t go over the top. You can have a lot of fun using these slopes.

I think the back ‘blue’ nine is marginally stronger but I can’t pick a weak hole anywhere. In contrast, the other heathlands I’ve played have at least one or two lesser holes. It’s pretty generous from the tee, but there are lots of hanging lies and elevated greens which make approach shots very tough. The greens are then really fast; they are in no way unfair but you can play safely to the centre of a green, then see your ball trundle away down a hill. That is better than having your ball above the hole, though... I say after putting into a bunker.

The experience is great as well, the conditioning, it’s hard to pick a fault. Okay it is a little snooty, but that’s understandable given the location. So if you are planning a Surrey and Berkshire trip, I would prioritise this as highly as Sunningdale.

May 04, 2021

Tony Daley

Class. Everything about St George’s Hill was an absolute delight. Driving through the estate on the way up to the incredible clubhouse, you know you are in for a special experience.

We played the traditional Red & Blue courses and from start to finish had an absolute blast. The course was in fantastic condition, despite the recent wet weather and cold conditions. Greens were running true and Harry Colt uses the elevation changes and perfectly positioned bunkers to create a real challenge in stunning surrounds. The variety of long and short holes, false fronted greens and abundant heather is so engaging.

Particular highlights on the Red include the first (perhaps the best first hole I have played this year, equalled only by Saunton East’s), the fifth with what seems like bunkers everywhere, the stunning par three eighth and the ninth back up the hill to the clubhouse (make sure you play to the right green on this one).

The blue nine was probably the stronger of the two, weaving in and out of the towering pine trees. The first four holes on this route were all brilliant, testing different parts of your game in a beautiful surrounding.

We played Woodhall Spa on the following day and I know in the rankings it sits above St George’s Hill but for me, SGH is every part it’s equal, if not the better of the two.

We all commented that we would love to come back and play in the summer to see how much more run-out you get from the fairways and see the heather in full bloom. I can’t wait to play it again.

December 26, 2020

James Francis Lewis

St. George’s Hill was the first course of the famed Surrey healthland belt that My friends and I have played.

The customer service You receive at this club is second to none. We didn’t know what to expect as We drove through the gated community that seemed to be littered with gated houses that were well out of our price range. Upon arrival We were greeted by down to earth normal people! From the staff in the club house (that served a tasty and generous cooked breakfast) to the club professional in the shop and Vince the 1st tee starter everyone made Us feel welcomed!

The course played long..... but that is partly down to the cold conditions but also down to the fact that most of the long par 4’s on the course have cleverly designed ‘false fronts’. As a group We found this a very satisfying and intriguing test!

The variety of long and short par 3’s and 4’s really make this course special. Blind tee shots and the most heather I have ever seen on a golf course!

This course and club deserves all the plaudits it gets and We cannot wait to come back in the summer one year to see it in full bloom! If anyone is planning a treat or wants a memorable round of golf. I would absolutely recommend the Red/Blue course at St. George’s Hill.

December 09, 2020

jason

My favourite "tree lined" course I have played. St Georges Hill does a rare thing in my opinion, which is to offer a memorable tree lined course where 2 weeks after playing you can remember a good majority of the holes as they dont all look or feel the same. The fairways are fairly generous and if you are a bit wide but not too wide, you can still score on this course. An outstanding course definitely worth a visit.

September 24, 2020

Craig Robinson

Wonderful British Course draped in so much history, managed to play with a member as their guest. If you get the opportunity take it as it is a great golfing experience.

July 02, 2020