Located on the shores of Lake Whitney, the course at New Haven Country Club is a Willie Park Jr. design, dating back to 1920. Narrower and a little longer nowadays, the layout still conveys much of the architect’s strategic intent.
The Robert Trent Jones Snr golf course at the Black Hall Club occupies heavily wooded terrain on a tight, 160-acre tract of land that lies less than a mile inland from Long Island Sound.
Designed by Roger Rulewich, the semi-private layout at Fox Hopyard is a sister golf course to Fox Hollow in Florida and Crumpin-Fox in Massachusetts, all three of which are owned by businessman Bill Sandri.
Mark Mungeam laid out the course at the Golf Club at Oxford Greens in 2005. Routed through woodland to the west of Naugatuck State Forest, it harks back to the architecture of yesteryear but on a grand scale.
Mohegan Sun Golf Club closed in 2014, allowing the casino course to be upgraded with the installation of five new holes, the redesign of every bunker and the reconstruction of all the greens.
Founded in 1892 as Fairfield County Golf Club, making it one of the oldest in America, the club subsequently changed its name to Greenwich Country Club then called in Seth Raynor to redesign the original 18-hole layout.
Owned and operated by the town of Groton’s Parks and Recreation Department, Shennecossett Golf Course is the only public Donald Ross layout in the Constitution State.
Westport Country Club was acquired by Birchwood Country Club in 1946. Orin Smith was then tasked with creating a challenging 9-hole layout to replace the old, restricted 18-hole course.
Developed by the City of Danbury, Richter Park Golf Course is laid out on a hilly 180-acre property next to West Lake Reservoir and Boggs Pond, with elevation changes at just about every hole on the card.
The Hotchkiss School is surrounded by its Seth Raynor-designed 9-hole golf course where in 1924 Raynor formed a friendship with English teacher Charles Banks that would later develop into a design partnership.