Lisburn Golf Club was formed as far back as 1880 but the members disbanded less than ten years later. It was not until 1905 that the present Lisburn Golf Club was established and they played for nearly seventy years on a 9-hole course at Longstone Street in the centre of Lisburn.
In the late 1960s, a decision was made to move the club to the Blaris Lodge area to the south side of Lisburn and the distinguished English golf course architect Fred Hawtree was tasked with routing 18 holes on the new 124-acre site. He created a course which opened in 1973 with two loops of nine that begin and end at the clubhouse – very handy if a quick nine is the preferred option when pressed for time.
Lisburn is considered to be one of the best parkland courses in Ireland with a great variety of holes. The signature hole is “Larch Grove” the 164-yard par three 6th hole where the green is protected at the front by a pond and surrounded by pine trees at the back, demanding pinpoint accuracy off the tee.
The club has hosted a number of professional and amateur events over the years including the Ulster Professional Championship in 1989 and the Golfing Union of Ireland All Ireland Cups and Shields Final in 2003. The Ulster competition, incidentally, was won by David Feherty – with scores of 65, 64, 68 and 65 – who claimed the course record on his way to winning by 18 strokes from the nearest competitor.