Founded in 1919, Earl Grey Golf Club started out with a 5-hole course which was later expanded to an 18-hole layout by club member Philip Boese. Wayne Carleton was then engaged in 2017 to carry out a course renovation in time for the club’s centennial celebrations the following year.
The club leases the property from the city of Calgary, above the Glenmore Reservoir, and the installation of a new cycle path immediately affected five holes on the course. This led to the building of new tees and greens, along with the construction of a couple of new holes and rerouting of several others.
All the bunkers on the course were refurbished, a new irrigation system was installed, and a new clubhouse constructed in what was a major overhaul of the club’s infrastructure. Today, the course extends to 7,041 yards from the back tees, playing to a par of 72 (35 out and 37 in), with the longer back nine featuring three par fives at the 11th, 14th and 18th holes.