Situated within a forest of blue gum, blackbutt and turpentine trees just off the M2 motorway in the northwest of Sydney, Pennant Hills Golf Club was founded in 1923, which makes it the fourth oldest club in the city still playing at the same location.
The club’s original course was a 9-hole affair but within a very short space of time there was an 18-hole layout in play, designed by 1923 Australian Open champion Tom Howard, who also won the Australian PGA title in 1924 and 1925.
Apart from a new 6th hole in 1934 and the addition of new tees and bunkers, no dramatic changes were made to the course up until the start of the new millennium. Since then, Jim Wilcher has carried out some renovation work, reconstructing most of the bunkers and introducing a new practice area next to the clubhouse.
The course is laid out with two returning nines: the outward half hugging the perimeter of the property then the inward half routed inside these holes. Both nines end in spectacular style close to the clubhouse, with Devlins Creek fronting the greens on both the 9th and 18th holes.