Overlooked by the New York skyline, the Gary Player-designed course at Manhattan Woods Golf Club lies within a 200-acre wooded estate in the lower Hudson Valley.
Laid out on a hilly, 325-acre woodland site, the old course at the Country Club of Troy was Walter Travis’s final design. Recently extended during restoration work by Tom Doak, it’s still short by modern day standards.
Members of the Rockaway Hunting Club on Brosewere Bay have played on their 18-hole layout for over a hundred years now. Devereux Emmet set out the original course in 1915 before A. W. Tillinghast added seven new holes a decade later. Gil Hanse ran a restoration project for the club in 2009.
Devereux Emmet extended the 9-hole course at Mahopac Golf and Beach Club to an 18-hole track in 1913. Today, this engaging layout measures just over 6,500 yards from the tips, featuring fescue-fringed bunkers and captivating greens.
Overlooking Lake George, the Donald Ross-designed hillside layout at The Sagamore Resort underwent an extensive, multi-million dollar restoration in the mid-1980s.
Established in 1897, Yahnundasis Golf Club engaged Walter Travis to lay out a 27-hole golf course for the membership in 1924. Nine of these holes were subsequently sold off but a solid 18-hole layout remains in play to this day.
Set on the South Shore of Long Island, Inwood Country Club is not only steeped in history but the golf course was also built originally as a romantic gift.
Siwanoy Country Club was incorporated in 1901, when a 9-hole course was also established. The club moved in 1913, engaging Donald Ross to set out a new 18-course layout, and this course hosted the first USPGA Championship three years later.
Featuring the usual Seth Raynor array of replica holes, such as a Redan at the 7th and a Short at the 11th, the course at Westhampton Country Club is one of the architect’s earliest solo designs, dating back to 1915, which was restored by Gil Hanse in 2009.
The Metropolis Country Club course has been touched by several prominent architects down the years: originally designed by Herbert Strong, it was remodelled by A. W. Tillinghast, reconfigured by Joe Finger then lengthened by Ken Dye in the late 1990s.